Darryl Lamb, General Manager
Darryl moved to BC in 2006 to begin a career in the wine trade; getting his start in retail for a small BC winery, he quickly rose to a management position. He studied under James Cluer, Master of Wine, at the UBC Wine and Spirit Education Trust.
During his tenure as BC Wine buyer at the Granville Island Liberty Wine Merchant, Darryl mastered the art of food and wine pairings; he went on to spearhead the Granville Island Gastronomic Society (GIGS), the successful cross-promotional program between Liberty Wine Merchants, the Federal Government of Canada, and the food purveyors within Granville Island Public Market, and during this time, the Granville Island location became the top Liberty location.
Darryl then took the reins as General Manager at Firefly Fine Wines and Ales in Vancouver, where he played a key role in revamping the entire store layout, production, and the staff. Now at the helm of Legacy Liquor Store, he continues to fuel his natural curiosity. Having travelled to many of the world’s wine regions, from the famous to the more obscure, Darryl plans to complete his WSET diploma over the next few years before challenging to become a Master of Wine in his own right.
- The 'ah-ha!' moment: An aged Mosel Riesling with pork tenderloin at a wine maker’s dinner at the age of 19.
- My life would not be complete without: Willamette Pinot Noir
- Favourite at home pairing: Brown Ale with BBQ, Muscadet and shellfish, Scotch and Gouda
- Up next in the travels: Lebanon, Israel, Jordan
CHRIS BONNALLIE, BEER SUPERVISOR
Christopher was turned onto good beer at an early age (over 19 that is) and began his quest for unique and interesting beer. After a stint in coffee he moved to England where he landed a position as assistant brewer at a brewpub. While there, Christopher trained as a 'beer cellar man' who manages pub cellars filled with traditional ale casks called firkin's. These are poured through those iconic English hand pumps at the bars.
Returning to Vancouver Christopher took up a position as a brewer with the notorious owner/head brewer of Storm brewing ltd. Under James, Christopher spent seven years improving and growing his craft and making some of the wildest beers in Vancouver.
Back into the retail world he became resident beer guru for Firefly Fine Wines and Ales. Now with Legacy, Christopher is the beer supervisor and is very exited to share his passion and knowledge with the southeast false creek area.
- The 'ah-ha!' moment: First time I mixed the malt with hot water in the brewery. That smell made me fall in love with brewing.
- My life would not be complete without: My cat Nora, my cast iron pan and my climbing shoes. Yes I am one of those nuts.
- Favourite at home pairing: Imperial stout with Stilton cheese.
- Up next in the travels: Belgium, the home of wild and crazy beers.
Lesley Anne Saito, Wine Supervisor
Lesley, born and raised in Richmond, BC, graduated from UBC with a BA in English Language. Before completing her degree, she moved to Japan to teach English and co-manage a snowboard rental shop for five years. In the summers, Lesley travelled to Europe and Asia.
While living in Nagano, Lesley also studied the Japanese Tea Ceremony and developed a love of sake. It was exciting to be involved in the 1998 Winter Olympics and drink hot red wine out of a can.
Before returning to Vancouver, Lesley completed her TESL certification in San Francisco and enjoyed a trip to the Napa Valley wineries. Recently, Lesley finished the International Sommelier Guild Diploma while working part time at Crosstown Liquor Store, teaching English and yoga, and singing in a gospel choir.
Lesley now joins Legacy Liquor Store full time as Wine Supervisor and looks forward to helping clients with their wine and sake selections.
- The 'ah-ha!' moment: a dry Tokaji Furmint
- My life is not complete without: wine and cheese with family and friends
- Favorite at home pairing: sake and a hot bath
- Up next in the travels: Italy, Spain, or New Zealand